Friday, January 18, 2013

My Unsuspecting Rock

There is a very important person in my life that has yet to be mentioned here.  I feel a little guilty that one of my greatest sounding boards and very best friends has been left out for so long.  

Connor and I have known eachother since we were 14 years old.  We aren’t from the same home town, but we did partake in the same dorky statewide youth and government program.  We ended up at the same SEC school and would hang out in spurts over the 4 years we were there.  We became truly close when we both ended up in DC, he for Grad school and me for following my political aspirations.  I even lived with Connor for two weeks while trying to get things in order for my big move.  

Now, I can’t imagine my life without Connor.  I can count on him for anything.  From a set of eyes on my newest story to a set of hands when I’m moving, he is always there when I need him.  Whether he knows it or not he is my rock.  Just knowing that he is a text, gchat, or cab ride away, makes home not seem so far and losing myself seem impossible.  Connor sees me in a way that I often wish I could see myself.  He doesn’t judge me for my often terrible decisions or my neurotic tendencies, loves me because of them. In his own words I am, “the most wonderful modern woman I [Connor] have the pleasure of knowing!”  He saves me from my own self doubt.  

Some of my favorite nights in DC include Connor.  Whether he is saving me from Mason Inn, helping me close down Molly Malone’s, or drinking wine with me on the couch, I know the night will be memorable.  We have the ideal girl/ guy friendship.  We can talk about anything under the sun.  No topic is off limits.  We are enough alike, yet very different, so it is never boring.  And most importantly there is no awkward sexual tension between us.  If we were ever going to get together it would have happened a long time ago.  Like on the bus to Spring Formal freshman year of college, or when I lived and shared a bathroom with him for two weeks.  It is so refreshing to be able to genuinely care about a member of the opposite sex without any pretenses or worries.  

We have a pact.  If we are both still single at 35 then we will get married.  We would have beautiful blue eyed babies and throw amazing parties.  My mother would love nothing more.  We would just have to get really drunk to have sex for the first time.  In all reality I could not marry someone that doesn’t get along with Connor.  He’ll be Uncle Connor to my kids someday.  

I think sometimes we take for granted the friendships that come easily, the ones without the drama, the ones that don’t have to be worked at.  These are the truly great friendships of our lives.  No matter how much time has passed since the last time you spoke you pick up right where you left off, and you never ever stop caring about one another.

To Connor, my unsuspecting rock and best friend.  Thank you for supporting my neurotic tendencies and always being my partner in crime.  You are the definition of a modern gentleman and truly a catch.  Never stop being you!

No comments:

Post a Comment